Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Goodbye Joomla

Dull. Dreary. Frustrating. No, I'm not talking about this past weekend's weather, I'm speaking of my experience with Joomla.  Granted, I'm not a technology oriented person, but I'm usually able to follow directions and keep up with video tutorials. After setting up the Cloud Access account, I spent the better part of two days trying to find my confirmation e-mail (ah, spam filters) and then trying unsuccessfully to gain entrance to my site's back-end. The next day I decided to start over, using my job e-mail and recreating my domain name. I now had full entrance to my nascent website. Setting up the site while trying to follow the tutorial, however, was an arduous task.  Once I took the advice of classmates to set up the site in step with the tutorial, some headway was finally made. This was the case even though viewing thirty minutes of the tutorial would usually equal about two hours of real time.  The tutorial narrator did mention that the repetition of the set up would eventually make the task easier, which turned out to true.  With the understanding that there are many more user-friendly CMS's available, I can safely say that Joomla will not be the product used to create my next website.

2 comments:

  1. I second that! If we had more time for the course it would be interesting to compare several content management systems - surely Joomla would be at the bottom of the list.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that being able to compare and contrast various CMS would be interesting and probably give us more insight. And it would make the experience less frustrating for a novice such as myself. But, this is Maymester. So much to cover, so little time.

      Delete